Browse By Topic
VFW News » Available Services Through The Service Officer
Available Services Through The Service Officer
A VFW Service Officer will:
- Offer research and advice to veterans who wish to handle their own claims.
- Assist veterans who are filing original claims for compensation and/or
pension with the Department of Veterans Affairs and complete the required
VA forms on behalf of the claimant.
- Assist veterans in reopening claims for service-connected disabilities and
complete the required VA forms.
- Follow up on status of claims filed by veterans with the VA Regional Office.
- File Notice of Disagreement with the VA Regional Office if a veteran
believes the decision made by the VA was incorrect.
- Review statements of the case from the VA regarding denials of claim and
assist veterans with the preparation of responses.
- Assist veterans or surviving spouses in the preparation of appeals for
denial of claims and file the appeals with the local VA Regional Office for forwarding to the Board
of Veterans Appeals in Washington, D.C.
- Complete VA Forms other than for original claims.
- Answer/research telephone inquiries regarding medical, death/burial and
other miscellaneous benefits.